April babies it’s your time to shine, because you have the most sought after birthstone – diamonds! Diamonds really are a girl’s best friend, but more so for all the ones born in April, because not only do they look pretty on them, it also happens to be their lucky stone!
Desired like no other gemstone, diamond has always been considered a prized possession. Its name is derived from a Greek word meaning ‘unbreakable’, which is true since it is the hardest naturally occurring material known to man. Besides it’s absolute solid form, the reason it is loved as much as it is, the shine because of their ability to split light into the colours of the rainbow.
First believed to have been mined in India, us desis have a long relationship with diamonds. Diamonds have found their way into most households, even if it is in the smallest of settings with earrings and rings. The four Cs are what everyone looks for in a diamond, and what make it perfect for jewellery, which are carat, cut, colour and clarity.
Coming to its healing properties, many people used to believe that diamonds were lightning made real on earth; because of this it was believed to possess great healing powers, especially powers that can cure brain diseases and pituitary gland disorders, by drawing out the toxins from the person.
It is a coveted stone, not only because of its rarity and shine, but also because it symbolises an eternal and unbreakable bond between people. Perhaps, that is why, it is the stone chosen by many for engagement rings and even wedding bands. It supposedly, brings love and clarity in relationships. Diamond is a sign of commitment and fidelity, and instills trust to relationships and situations.
Even though it is the hardest substance, our diamonds do need care and maintenance like every other gemstone. So we have for you a list of Do’s and Don’ts for your diamond jewellery you need to make your holy grail-
- Let’s start with the basics, if you have something like an expensive diamond engagement ring, what you need is insurance for it. You need it to be protected in the event of loss or damage or even theft.
- Remove your ring for any rigorous activity you might want to undertake. Losing it when you are working out or doing any sort of manual work is not what you want. Plus, diamonds are susceptible to scratches.
- Store your diamond jewellery in cloth lined pouches or boxes, because like we said, they are very susceptible to scratches.
- Get it cleaned every once in a while, just to make sure it retains the shine it came with.
- Avoid touching the stone itself in your jewellery. They are magnets for dust and body oil, so the more you touch the diamond, the more it will get dull over a period of time.
- Don’t try to clean your diamonds yourself, because you read some easy and cheap DIY method online, you will only damage it. Leave it to the experts to clean it.
- Don’t leave them near corrosive substances like cosmetics, and when packing them, do not put all your diamonds in the same place. Package them separately and line each package with a soft cloth.
April or not, diamonds are for all seasons, but they are not for everybody, all the time. Crystal jewellery and CZ Diamond jewellery are also considered great stand ins for real diamonds. All the shine and none of the price, both these types of jewellery are gaining popularity all over the world and faster than you can imagine!
So shine bright like a diamond, and keep your diamond (or crystals or CZ diamonds) shining bright with this gemstone guide!